The Monotype Chronicles
First Cyrillic font cut as Cushing (Russian), Series 17 based on a design by the American Type Founders Company.
Punch-cutting machines, designed by Frank H. Pierpont and made in the Salfords factory, displaced the earlier Benton-Waldo equivalents. The replacements made 8-times as many punches in a given time than their forerunners and worked to much finer tolerances with less skilled labour.
Job Type Attachment for Monotype Caster allowing the production of sorts for case from 14 to 36 point.
Government Printing Office in Washington placed another order for 12 Monotype Casters and 50 Keyboards bringing the aggregates respectively to 124 and 162: the largest installation in the world.
Railway goods siding built to connect with the Salfords factory.
Thompson Type Machine Company established in Chicago to market the Thompson Type Caster (see 1929).
Monotype Duplex Keyboard featuring two unit-registering counters and two paper spool perforators, but with a single set of keybanks. It enabled a job to be set simultaneously in two different type sizes and to two different measures.
Low-quad mould for Monotype Caster. By reducing the height of cast spaces, the risk of them rising on the press to printing height and spoiling the sheets was lessened. Other improvements to the low-quad technology were made in 1913, 1920, and 1933. Partial kerning introduced for the left-hand side of characters on the Monotype Caster.
Business structure of the Lanston Monotype Corporation Ltd. consolidated signifying an end to the pioneering years. Such a move was underpinned by a large battery of machines being installed at The Times newspaper in London; the typeface delivered was the Modern (Series 7) first produced in 1902. Monotype Anzeiger issued as an external house magazine by the German dealer.
Special area set aside and fitted out at the Salfords factory as a Type Drawing Office which formalized the activity.
Reverse delivery mechanism for Monotype Caster permitting composition of the Semitic languages which read from right to left, notably Arabic and Hebrew.
John Sellers Bancroft died on 29 January.
Forum Title (Series 274) by Frederic W. Goudy. Cut by Robert Wiebking, but offered commercially by the Lanston Monotype Machine Company.
Mechanical solution developed for kerning characters on the Monotype Caster. It allowed the rendering of fluent and elegant italics which were denied to line-casting machines unable to provide similar facilities.
First formalized Monotype School established in the basement of 43 Fetter Lane in London under the direction of Billy Wigg. It provided a model for several other similar institutions in subsidiary offices around the world. Both day and evening classes were offered, unlike the more restricted activities dating from 1900.
Monotype Display Type Caster (later known as the Type and Rule Caster) enabled printers to stock hand-composing rooms with fonts of type, quads, leads, and rules.
Display Matrix Lending Library established in London by the Lanston Monotype Corporation for the convenience of printers. Hiring a font for one week cost 15 shillings (75 pence).
Tolbert Lanston died on 18 February in Washington.
Monotype, an external house journal, started in the USA.
First production model of the Intertype line-caster installed at the Journal of Commerce.
Evening Post in Chicago installed the first Ludlow line-casting machine.
Edward E. Bartlett (owner of the Bartlett-Orr Press in New York) appointed Director of Typography by the Mergenthaler Linotype Company in the USA.
Factory at Salfords given over to the making of precision parts for machine guns which necessitated expansion of the facilities under Government subsidy. Salfords railway station opened to aid war effort and serve Monotype plant.
Monotype Users Association established.
The book Typographical Printing-Surfaces: the Technology and Mechanisation of their Production by Lucien A. Legros and John C. Grant published. It has remained the standard and most authoritative work on hot-metal casting and composition technology.
International Typesetting Machine Company, the makers of the Intertype line-caster, went into receivership. Its stock was bought for $1,650,000 leading to emergence of the Intertype Corporation.