The Monotype Chronicles
Elrod Strip Caster invented by Benjamin S. Elrod who established the first Linotype tradesetting house west of the Mississippi River.
Monotype School in London moved to Dean Street.
George W. Jones appointed printing adviser to Linotype & Machinery Ltd. in Britain. He initiated a number of distinguished typefaces for line-casting.
Sol Hess appointed Typographic Manager of the Lanston Monotype Machine Company after joining the firm in 1902.
Planning commenced for the manufacture of complete keyboards and casters at the Salfords factory with E. Silcock (later General Manager of the Corporation) in charge of the task.
American Courts upheld a complaint by the Lanston Monotype Machine Company that the Elrod Strip Caster infringed its patent 7202 of 1915. In London the Express Newspaper Ltd. agreed to pay the Lanston Monotype Corporation Ltd. royalties for continued use of the Elrod machine. The dispute was settled more formally in 1925 between the two principal companies.
Harvard University Press published the two volumes on Printing Types theirhistory, forms, and use: a study in survivals by Daniel Berkeley Updike, the founder of the Merrymount Press in 1893.
Dotted rule mould for the Monotype Caster.
First Monotype machines manufactured wholly in Britain were marketed.
Harold M. Duncan, the Managing Director of the Lanston Monotype Corporation Ltd., died.
William Isaac Burch appointed Managing Director of the Lanston Monotype Corporation Ltd. He had been elected Company Secretary in March 1898 and joined the Board in 1917.
J. Maury Dove, President of the Lanston Monotype Machine Company, died. He was succeeded by Harvey Best.
Double Crown Club founded by Oliver Simon, Holbrook Jackson, and Hubert Foss: a dining club for select participants in the graphic arts.
Goudy Heavy Face (Series 380) by Frederic W. Goudy. Cut by Robert Wiebking. Designed at therequest of Harvey Best, President of the Lanston Monotype Machine Company.
Extended die-case for Monotype Casters which bolstered the number of individual matrices accommodated from 225 to 255 in a grid of 15 ¥ 17 rows, instead of 15 x 15 as previously. It was not adopted in the USA until 1946.
Three-unit justification attachment for Monotype composing machines encouraging closer word spacing of text.
Extension of maximum line length to 90 ems of set on Monotype machines.
Monotype Giant Caster produced in Philadelphia for casting sorts from 42 to 72 point, as well as strip materials. M. C. Indahl, the Chief Engineer of the Lanston Monotype Machine Company, has been credited with the development.
The Lords Prayer engraved on a 12-point em-square punch. Casts were made from the subsequent Monotype matrices and given away as keepsakes by the Corporation. They were much prized by recipients over a succession of years into the 1970s.
Mergenthaler Linotype Company introduced the Ionic typeface for newspaper composition. Within 18 months of release, the design had been adopted by 3000 publications.
Herbert Bayer started a typography workshop at the Bauhaus School in Dessau under Walter Gropius.
To showcase Monotype's mechanical engineering prowess, in 1925 at the UK Monotype Works, the full text of the "Lord's Prayer" was cut in a matrix less than a quarter of an inch square, from which hot metal type was cast that was still readable. The project started from a 10 inch square drawing and copper outline pattern; a punchcutting machine made a 12 point em square punch from the large pattern. A casting matrix was made from the punch, and then type was cast on a Monotype Composition Caster.